Hey,

> Yes, of course it would have been better!
> We have clearly identified an area where there things could improve,
> but that's not the main problem.
>
> The main problem is that people who converted are trying to push "what
> they're used to" from Linux, thereby reinventing hot water.

Bullshit dude - those people are trying to figure out what works well
for Linux, and trying to identify the gaps on a Solaris side. There's no
pushing going on, but a lot of good, open discussion and I do believe
that we need to completely discuss the merits of each proposal rather
than instantly dismissing them. You're as much in the peanut gallery as
they are.

> I'm pretty certain that nobody here will believe me, but we keep
> coming back to this:
>
> SGI already has this whole mess not only sorted out, but PEGGED and
> NAILED. We should talk to them.
> They've contributed a lot to Linux, they might be willing to
> contribute to OpenSolaris.

Care to expand on that? I, and I'm sure others, would very much welcome
the history lesson on what they've successfully done. FWIW, I think we
should be doing this with Linux too, and many other communities out
there - but you instantly want to dismiss them with every reply.

> And I'd be glad to contribute, that's not even a question in my mind.
> But first we have to sort out all this confusion and quiet down the
> noise coming from the Linux-PC gallery. They just want a revolution,
> but what they don't realize is that revolution is not needed; [I]it's
> all there already[/I], and what some engineer spent months and years
> working on is just fine, and [I]does not need to be reinvented[/I].
> Again. And again. And again.

Okay - so it's going to become very clear to you in the days to come,
that those who contribute positively get to define the direction. It's
the simple open source principle. Those who talk, don't.

FWIW, I'd very much encourage you to have a good read of the draft
governance model -
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=1268&tstart=0

Glynn