Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, there are a few problems I see with this. First of all, there's
> been some question on Debian legal on whether or not the CDDL meets
> the Debian Free Software Guidelines, if it doesn't, then it's very
> likely they will have no interest in working with us or taking back

I believe that they mainly discuss whether the CDDL meets the chinese
dissident (which needs to be allowed to stay anonymous) check. I don't
see why there should be a problem.

> our necessary changes to keep those packages working. Secondly, I
> think this would be better off as it's own project since there are
> many things under an "OpenSolaris" distribution that people would want
> to package that don't fit in with Debian's strict guidelines.
>
> While using the work they've already done or starting a new project
> based off their existing repository sounds ok, trying to actually work
> with Debian to create an "OpenSolaris" distribution seems a lost
> battle at best.

This is what I said ealier. If they like to create Debian/OpenSolaris,
they are allowed to do so anyway but I don't see that we need to
have Debian on board in order to create an OpenSolaris distro.

As the Debian people think the Linux way they will have different goals from
most people who like to use Solaris.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/