> So it is an enhancement and thus still worth of a
> change request (CR)
> being logged in http://bugs.opensolaris.org.

"A picture speaks a thousand words", so says an old saying. I just captured
this steamin' fresh from the RSM not but two minutes ago:

Can't open boot device

ok probe-ide
  Device 0  ( Primary Master )
         Removable ATAPI Model: SAMSUNG CF/ATA

  Device 1  ( Primary Slave )
         Not Present

  Device 2  ( Secondary Master )
         Removable ATAPI Model: CRD-8322B

  Device 3  ( Secondary Slave )
         Not Present

ok

As you can see, this was captured on a SPARC system, but I assure you that the
end result is the same on x86.

Our suspect is the "Removable ATAPI Model: SAMSUNG CF/ATA".

The message says:

"Check your disks and make sure they are connected and powered up" after one
enters all the system identification info.