> discussing about interfaces and standards is a good
> thing, standards are
> a good thing, the hack&slay
> mentality often shown in the so-called "open source
> community" is not.

Try to understand it from a different view: the source is not available, so
there is no reason to keep compatiblity - it's impossible. See eg. Ghostscript
- it's a Postscript interpreter that's now very "mature". But it still is not
100% compatible to the Adobe-Postscript interpreter - and even if some people
that made Ghostscript where consulted for PDF specifications, Ghostscript still
has some incompatiblities with PDF files.

The only possible solutions are:
a) have original source code
b) have the people that coded the original.

My personal opinion is that a) is the safer way.

-Helmar