Keith> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 05:13:55PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:

>> The reason why nothing with enough significance happened so far, is
>> that Sun people did stop any attempt to start with significant work.

Keith> How, mind control?  Please send me privately any messages you've
Keith> received refusing a sponsorship request or instructing you to
Keith> stop work.

I think Joerg's point is that during the Pilot he suggested getting his
rmt/star work into OpenSolaris, and Sun engineers (including myself)
suggested that we start with something smaller.  I think that was the
right decision at the time.  But now that we've had several bug fixes
put back, I think we're ready to tackle something this big.

>> We need to find a way to do this as soon as possible or people may
>> become frustrated and forget about their ideas to contribute to
>> OpenSolaris.

Keith> With whom have you spoken regarding PSARC/2004/480?

Joerg was in contact with some of the ufs folks earlier in the year.  I
know there's at least one bug/rfe that's been filed on this, though I
don't have the ID handy.  I asked Dworkin last week if he would sponsor
Joerg's work, but Friday was Dworkin's last day at Sun.  I've been
exchanging mail with one of the people Dworkin recommended to be the
sponsor.  He's willing to do it, but it'll be a couple weeks before much
happens because he'll be away during that time.

Keith> It's also unclear to me whether the decision was made to deliver
Keith> to SFW or ON.  If the former, you'll have to wait a bit.

My understanding is that the rmt work can go into ON.  I'm not sure
about the rest; I figured it was something Joerg and the sponsor could
work out.

mike