Alan Coopersmith wrote:

For ksh, we could under the current rules do a variety of things:

 - Add ksh93 as /usr/bin/ksh93 - simple, easy, no problems, and leave
   both ksh88 and ksh93 in Solaris, with only ksh93 in OpenSolaris.

 - Announce at least a year before the next minor release that we
   are ending support for ksh88 scripts and make ksh93 replace ksh
   in that minor release.   (Probably want to include ksh93 in a
   prior update release first so customers can test their scripts.)

How about something like this:

Move current ksh to ksh88, add ksh93, and make ksh a link to ksh88. Include a script to change the link to/from ksh88 or ksh93 so people can configure the default to taste easily. In a future release the link would point to ksh93 instead (pre-announced), and those with compatibility problems can use the config script to change it back if needed. In opensolaris you could have the link default to ksh93 until such a time as there is an open source ksh88 or ksh88 is added to closed-bins.

--
James Lick -- 黎建溥 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- http://jameslick.com/