Daniel Johnsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Has anything new happened in this direction ?
> I mean can we really expect to see fine-grained acls with the arrival of ZFS ?
> Like on Windows2k3 where you can set alot of permissions (read, read_acl,
> write, append, ...) instead of just r/w/x, and the options to specific more
> then one owner, fine-grained inheritance and so on.

If fine grained "permissions" are going to be added, then it would be important
to also look at the file flags on FreeBSD.

See man chflags(1) on FreeBSD.

           arch    set the archived flag (super-user only)
           opaque  set the opaque flag (owner or super-user only)
           nodump  set the nodump flag (owner or super-user only)
           sappnd  set the system append-only flag (super-user only)
           schg    set the system immutable flag (super-user only)
           sunlnk  set the system undeletable flag (super-user only)
           uappnd  set the user append-only flag (owner or super-user only)
           uchg    set the user immutable flag (owner or super-user only)
           uunlnk  set the user undeletable flag (owner or super-user only)
           archived, sappend, schange, simmutable, uappend, uchange,
                   uimmutable, sunlink, uunlink
                   aliases for the above

     Putting the letters ``no'' before or removing the letters ``no'' from a
     keyword causes the flag to be cleared.  For example:

           nouchg  clear the user immutable flag (owner or super-user only)
           dump    clear the nodump flag (owner or super-user only)

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/