Alan Coopersmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The rules we've set up in Solaris allow us to do a large amount,
> even incompatible change, without going to a new major release.
>
> It would probably have to be something as fundamental as libc changing
> incompatibility and not offering an old version to force SunOS 6.
>
> For ksh, we could under the current rules do a variety of things:
>
>   - Add ksh93 as /usr/bin/ksh93 - simple, easy, no problems, and leave
>     both ksh88 and ksh93 in Solaris, with only ksh93 in OpenSolaris.
>
>   - Announce at least a year before the next minor release that we
>     are ending support for ksh88 scripts and make ksh93 replace ksh
>     in that minor release.   (Probably want to include ksh93 in a
>     prior update release first so customers can test their scripts.)

One year is a short time for something that offers staibility like Sun Solaris.

For my programs I usually have a 5 year period when I introduce incompatible
interface changes and I require at least 2 major relases to include the
transition code.

The chance for having transitional code in a first Solaris major release has
been missed this year with Solaris 10.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/