"Ferdinand O. Tempel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I thought we are still in hope that the SVr4 pkg system
> will become OpenSource soon.
>
> Lets start working on solutions anyway. Just in case you run out of breath
> while you hold it while waiting for Sun to release. Why rely on kindness on
> the long term when a solution on the short term is needed?

Sun needs to opensource the package system or to rewrite
the zones code. Sun advertizes that OpenSolaris includes
Zones but they rely on the missing package system.

I am working on a simple package system that allows an automated
generation of SchilliX. If I sum up the time I was working on
things (missing to be OSS) like libm, packaging etc., it seems that
more than half of the time I am working on SchilliX is spend on
the missing code.

Important things for now are:

-       libm            currently replaced by a ported version from FreeBSD

-       pkg             I am using a star based system to create the SchilliX
ISO

-       sccs            currently missing completely

-       bzip2/gzip      I am using the official recent versions although
                        Sun provides their sources

-       NSPR            Netscape Portable Runtime (LDAP libs)
                        Sun's source is not available.....we needed to
                        find something by our own but there is no idea
                        whether we use the same version as Sun.

                        We have been able to compile the official source
                        but we have not been able to create amd64 binaries.

-       libxml2         we compile official sources (2.6.19).
                        we recently succeeded to build a amd64 version.

                        Sun seems to use 2.6.9 and only gives this info:

                        Built with the Sun Workshop Compilers.

                        Configured with:
                            ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-threads
--without-python

-       Some SMF files  are missing and I did write my own.

-       libz            Sun uses an old version, we use zlib-1.2.3

-       NIC drivers     Various nic drivers are missing, we use the ones
                        from Masayuki Murayama

-       unzip           Sun's source is not available, we compiled the
                        official version.

-       wget            we compile the same version as Sun probably not
                        with the same condifuration.

-       INSTALL         The install system from Sun is completely missing
                        we needed to create our own framework.

Various programs that Sun did put into /usr/sfw/bin/ are present on
SchilliX but not always with the same version as Sun uses.
Of course, this may cause compatibility problems, but as long as Sun does
not provide Sun's build system for these programs, it is just faster to
get recent versions and create an own build system.

We use:

bash-3.0
bind-9.2.4
bzip2-1.0.3
gmake-3.80
gpatch-2.5.4
gtar-1.15.1             Patched to by default create POSIX compliant archives.
gzip-1.3.3
libxml2-2.6.19
samba-3.0.14a
screen-4.0.2
texinfo-4.8
wget-1.9.1
zlib-1.2.3

As we don't have the same versions of the programs, I cannot put them in
/usr/sfw/. I am using /opt/schily, /usr/gnu, /usr/bsd/ and /usr/sps/ instead.

Note that I tried several times to start a discussion about a set of rules for
the filesystem hierarchy (Sun currently does not follow real rules) to no avail.

I hope that this list again helps to understand where the problems are.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/