> I can package pretty much anything complying with Sun / SVR4 in under 30
> minutes now (time to compile excluded, since that has to be done regardless
> of the packaging system).

But you have created your own tools to do it and so have I. I have my custom
scripts, prototypes, pkgmk, pkgtrans, postinstall, depend, etc etc.

> Basically it boils down to the fact that most of these people are just too
> lazy to sit down, 'warm up the chair' and study the SVR4 / IRIX / HP-UX
> software management subsystems.
I agree, but if you would compare the for example RPM way with SVR4, which is
easiest once you learnt it? Initial cost with SVR4 packages are probably higher
than RPM, because it's too time consuming. Because there's no standard
environment that people can use (you have to write the tools to automate the
process yourself). With SRPM all you have to do is create spec file and build
it.

What I really missed until I found pkg-tools was a way to compile and install
the applications to a fake root (using lofiadm or make install DESTDIR=). From
there all you have to do is read the developer guide on how to package (very
nice guide indeed).

> Point: RPM is being pushed out of pure lazyness to sit down and learn
> something new (in this case, SVR4 packaging).
pkg-tools is good for two reasons: it really simplifies the build process, it
automates the packaging process.

> Point: it pays to actually take the time to learn the native packaging system.
If one doesn't like the automating of the packaging process with pkg-tools,
maybe everyone should share their tools, develop what's missing to help
integrate the missing funcionality in pkg-tools. It's a really good start to
get a common environment.

If the environment and tools used to build SFW or SUNW packages were made
public, for example by writing a detailed Blueprint with a best practice, I
might never had used pkg-tools. Unfortunatly I can't find any docs on that.

Point: everyone shouldn't have to create their own tools to automate packaging
Point: SRPM is great for building and customizing applications