Alan DuBoff wrote:
On Tuesday 09 August 2005 08:00 pm, Bob Palowoda wrote:

 +1 also.

To be politically correct, +1.;-)

Talk about quirks the HP Compaq nx9600 Notebook PC runs
in 64bit Solaris  and now where on their spec page:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12114_na/12114_na.HTML
do they indicate that they are putting 64bit Pentium EMT chips in them.

You might have missed it on the link you sent:

Intel Pentium 4 processor 650* with HT Technology (3.4-GHz, 800-MHz FSB, 2-MB L2 cache, SpeedStepĀ®)

http://www.intel.com/design/pentium4/datashts/306382.htm

You would think they would tout it on their website...go figure. Maybe they have Sun marketing working for them?<gd&r>

Of course Sun marketing is smart enough to mention something so slight as a 64-bit processor, but then, maybe it's because we can actually support the processor to begin with.

Maybe HP was embarrased as all of their 64-bit x86 code was written for the Itanium? Wake me up when it resurects, will 'ya?

But Solaris runs on EM64T anyway, it just can't use the non-existant hypertransport.

Well  I can tell you wee need a way of asking what processor we have.

The nx9600 I was initially issued hat the 540 processor. No 64bit with that one. I get 64bit Solaris on the 640 and 641 processors as identified by a windows program.

We need something to probe the machine better.

BTW the nx9600 is a bit clunky and the Power Suupply is a brick,
at 180W.  Portable but not very convenient, 2 hour tops on 1 battery.

Still no working audio, and obviously no working Wi-Fi.