On 8/14/05, Richard L. Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> cmdtool is in the xview source; some of the rest of the clients would be
> nice, although
> the mailtool is very lame as is; if it were released, I'd think people would
> want to
> quickly make it at least as MIME-capable (sending as well as receiving) as
> dtmail.
> I think textedit may be out there somewhere too, or if not, it should be
> fairly trivial.
>
> I have a copy of the source for a cmdtool variant called btool, with a bunch
> of
> programmable buttons down the right side.  There's no explicit copyright info
> in
> it; here's the comment at the top of the file containing main():

That would be great, assuming it isn't copyrighted.

> OLIT would be a problem; that actually belonged to AT&T, later USL, later
> Novell.  Somewhere along the line they redid it as MoOLIT, which could I
> think have a user-selectable Motif or Open Look look and feel, but
> maintained the OLIT API.  The rights for that somehow passed to
> www.mjm.com.  They don't mention on their site that they still license it,
> but I think they do; although whether that would only be binaries, or
> source too, I have no idea.  I suspect it wouldn't be easy to talk them
> into giving it away, although it might be fun to watch someone try.

Yeah, that certainly puts a damper on doing that.  Do they own the
actual OLIT code or do they own the MoOLIT code?  It was my
understanding that somewhere along the line Sun paid off the owner of
the SVR4 sources used in Solaris.

> Personally, if I wanted to spend a lot of energy harassing some bunch of
> folks to
> loosen their grip on a desktop environment, I wouldn't bother with Open Look,
> much as I once liked it, but rather would  go after The Open Group folks, and
> CDE.
> Along those lines, I wonder if OpenSolaris is open enough to be eligible to
> use
> "Open"Motif on it?

According to their website, the OS and kernel need only be under a OSI
approved license, so that is do able:

http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/faq.html

Though personally, I kind of despise CDE and Motif.  Gnome2 less
cumbersome to configure, but it's so bloated.  Metacity and
gnome-terminal are *huge* considering what they do. I can't imagine
running it on a machine with less than 256 MB of ram.  It isn't a big
deal for me since I have a nice machine, but I would think one role
for OpenSolaris would be for non-profits and such that are using old
equipment, and who would ultimately end up having to install and
configure fwvm or similar.

Cheers,
Dave