>> The change isn't trivial from a code or performance point of view.
>> If you look at the sparc stuff you'll see that NCPU has a default but
>> that can be overridden by specific platforms (that have more than
>> the default, which I think is 32).
>Its 64 for SPARC.

The code change is trivial as long as you go from 21 to 32 (some macros
break at the next power of two).

Some digging I did revealed that the "21" originates when that was
the biggest integer where 21 * sizeof (struct cpu) <= pagesize at some
point in the history of Solaris (struct cpu is much bigger now_

>Depends on how you define 'word' - nibble, byte, short, 32 bit, 64 bit
>or 128 bit. 586 has 64bit datatypes, making the value 64 the optimum
>for the near future (until machines with 16 sockets and quad-core cpus
>or 8 sockets with two HT-capable dual cores become available).

Do we have 64 bit bitmask instructions in 32 bits?  So 32 for 32 bit
and 64 for 64 bit may make the most sense....

Casper