The issue of open source licensing has become so important in the corporate
world that last year, the Practicing Law Institute began to offer a special
course in this area:

http://www.pli.edu/product/book_detail.asp?ptid=503&stid=28&id=EN00000000018334

This course was very well received, and PLI is offering a totally revised
course this year:

http://www.pli.edu/product/book_detail.asp?ptid=503&stid=28&id=EN00000000020133

If it were left to engineers, CDDL would be the way to go.  Definitely.
However, there are legal issues (as aforementioned).  But more importantly,
there are marketing issues.  I am not talking 'bout marketing to end-users, who
probably could care less one way or another, but about marketing to open-source
developers.  In order to do the later, Sun probably has two options, one is try
to convince them to erase their bias against CDDL--I don't know how that's
possible b/c most of them don't even care to read the licence.

The second option is to try to re-package the OpenSolaris kernel to make it GPL
compatible.  The more I think about it, the less I feel it is impossible.  But
at least someone at Sun should give it a thought.

Of course, there is a third option, i.e., to hire a ton of developers, perhaps
expanding the current head count by ten-fold.