On Sep 7, 2005, at 4:12 AM, Simon Phipps wrote:

I find strident and over-assertive language distressing whichever party is using it.

Irrelevant discussion on an open source project mailing list is
a cancer. It must be cut out to prevent those of us with high
email loads from unsubscribing. Pretty soon, the only people
left on the mailing list will be the ones not working on the
project.  BTW, that is also why Apache project lists are called
"dev", not "discuss", since it narrows the acceptable discussion
to something that active engineers can keep up with and still
do their work.  The "general" and "users" lists, in contrast,
tend to be more verbose and less restrictive.

While OpenSolaris will not be switching to GPL any time for reasons I have articulated on my blog, the CDDL may well be updated and improved at an indeterminate future point and understanding issues with it is valuable.

I think we should create a license-discuss mailing list if you
anticipate such changes, since the people who need to discuss
them (lawyers) are not here and never will be given the traffic.

....Roy