Hi Eric,

I was aware of the "copy-on-write" features in ZFS, but was not aware
of how the snapshots work, since I never got to try it out. This
definitely answers my question and provides a viable solution when ZFS
becomes available. As for ZFS and zones, I see a lot of potential for
easy cloning of zones. Will ZFS support clustering? Are there any plans
to make it a distributed file system (like cluster vxvm?) ?

Octave

--- Eric Schrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 10:34:29AM -0700, Octave Orgeron wrote:
> >
> > Does the snapshot take a full copy of the filesystem or does it
> only
> > copy the delta changes? If it's just regular snapshot, it does not
> meet
> > the features a union fs can provide. I've only used ZFS in a
> Solaris 10
> > course, but it was a year old version:( So I'm not too familiar
> with
> > what has happened over the past year in development.
> >

> ZFS is a copy on write filesystem (similar to WAFL), so a snapshot is
> an
> instantaneous operation that initially consumes zero additional
> space.
> As the active data diverges from the snapshot, it will gradually take
> up
> more space, proportional to the amount of delta between them.  In
> addition, ZFS supports the notion of a "clone", which is a writable
> filesystem whose initial contents are that of a snapshot.  Like
> snapshots, a clone initially takes up no extra space, but will
> consume
> more over time as the data diverges.
>
> We are actively thinking about how these technologies can be used
> with
> Zones and Live Upgrade (among other cases) to enable rapid deployment
> and upgrade.  The idea of creating a "template zone" on a ZFS
> filesystem
> and then being able to instantaneously clone a new zone into
> existance
> is certainly appealing.  But we're currently focused on ZFS
> integration;
> this is clearly a "phase two" item.
>
> - Eric
>
> --
> Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development
> http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock

*       Octave J. Orgeron         *
* Solaris Infrastructure Architect*
* http://unixconsole.blogspot.com *