I would like to start a community group with the focus of running other
operating systems inside a zone. This would look at optimizing opensource
software like bochs and/or qemu for the OpenSolaris project.

This is different from the Xen project in that we would use Solaris as the
hypervisor with its rich set of resource control and then emulate x86 systems
inside a zone.

So far as a proof of concept I have run FreeDOS inside a zone on a Sparc system
using bochs. It was very slow. Evaluating what optimizations can done and
running it on Solaris x86 is my next planned step.

While this approach will be slower than Xen it is still interesting to look
into. That and processors are not going to get any slower. At some point even
emulating an entire x86 system in software will become realistic.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]