Thomas wrote:

sorry for all the stupid questions but can any one tell me what I have?  I have
a sun ultra 5, is this a SPARC or a x64/86?  I don't really understand the
difference, would someone care to enlighten me?  I guess it is a x64 because I
think I read somewhere that the ultra has a 64 bit procesor but I might well be
imagining this.

Ultra 5 uses the 64-bit UltraSPARC processor. x64 would use an AMD or Intel CPU.

I have checked the sessions menu and it only has CDE.  It is worth me upgrading
to 10 at this stage?  How difficult is it to install?  What is the easiest way
to get gnome?  I have limited experience with debian so this would probably be
the easiest way to get me started

Since this is the OpenSolaris list, most people here would recommend upgrading to the Solaris Express preview versions of Solaris 11. However, Solaris 10 would also get you up to a fairly modern software base. Installing Solaris 10 on an Ultra 5 should be pretty straightforward since you will only have standard, supported hardware.

--
James Lick -- 黎建溥 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- http://jameslick.com/