On Monday 10 October 2005 18:03, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> 1. noone cares about spec numbers, in production systems. the only
> thing "they" care about is for the software to run reliably, and to do
> what it is supposed to do, when it is supposed to do it.

Stefan,

I wouldn't say that's completely true, there are actually some folks that
design data centers around spec numbers. Most of the folks I know do not do
that, but I do hear there are folks that do that. I 'spose this needs to be
taken into consideration, since there are some folks that do that. It would
be interesting to understand why those folks that do design data centers
based on spec numbers do that.

So, let's just say that Linux is faster is some operations (which it most
certainly is, even though it's slower in others). Let's say that you need to
select an OS. Do you select it on the results that point to a faster system
on Linux for a specific task?

I think that answer to that could be yes, depending on if you really need that
task for the majority of your work. However, I don't see folks making
decisions like that. In my experience they try to be rational about their
choice in systems and pick the one that has a majority of overall advantages.
There are many pieces that come into play for OS selection. Managment of the
system, stability, development tools, supported APIs, even how a system can
handle a load.

I'd like to take a step back and concede that Linux is faster at some
operations. I know Sun's performance group is working to tighten up that very
gap in those areas. What does this all mean?

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering - Sun on Sun is the way of the future!