>I've found Solaris and Redhat have very little to do with the
>actual performance, most of it seems to be compiler dependent

You don't seem to have dealt with Java any time, have you? Compiler dependent,
huh? That would be true for scientific applications running mostly in user
space but if you ever dealt with real software deployed by businesses you would
know that SPEC benchmarks such as jAppServer, JBB etc. matter and operating
system scalability to deal with gigabytes of memory, tons of processors, and a
load of network connections matters a lot. What makes you think SPEC is
useless?  Have you ever seen what they do with SPEC benchmarks?

And I don't think we need to discuss Redhat and Sun support here. I reiterate
that we are discussing scalability and performance in this thread - and also
that I am not spreading FUD that Solaris and Sun support sucks because I know
both are technically speaking good things and one should use what he/she likes
and suits there need - no need to go into FUD mode or exclusivity.