On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:

> As an early activist in the Linux movement (as a means to "topple the
> Microsoft tyranny") , I have noticed that the battlefield has shifted—in a
> not-so-subtle way.  The new religion is OpenDocument (format).  And it looks
> that the momentum is going to last a very very long while.
>
> For example, Fox News ran an article by one James Prendergast criticizing the
> decision of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to adopt OpenDocument, it was
> immediately picked apart by Slashdot.  Yesterday, Fox News posted readers'
> “Mr. Prendergast's affiliation with Microsoft should have been stated clearly
> in the article.”

> Everytime the combo-word OpenDocument is mentioned, so is Sun's decision to
> open-source StarOffice, as well as an inevitable (& at least implicitly
> favorable) connect to OpenSolaris.  Today's NewsForge even made what I
> believe, a pretty big deal on OpenSolaris laptops:
>
> “OpenSolaris, the effort by Sun Microsystems and others to make the Solaris
> version of Unix into an open-source operating system, has started branching
> into the mobile computing domain. That's a notable step given that Solaris is
> generally designed for much more powerful--and stationary—servers.”
>
> Laptops have been outselling desktop PCs, and this is an area where Linux has
> great difficulties penetrating.  It will be really cool to see a bunch of
> notebooks running Solaris.

Wayne,

This list is for OpenSolaris - not StarOffice 8.  Please stop posting your
StarOffice related zealotry to this list!

Regards,

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris.Org Community Advisory Board (CAB) Member - Apr 2005