[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> 4155198 fileno() macro is evil and must be removed
> >
> >As long as there are binaries around that have been compiled
> >with the fileno macro, you cannot extend the number of files for FILE *
> >without breaking things.
>
> It depends on how careful you are breaking things.
>
> Perhaps we should send the finalized proposal to the list...

It would be simple to add a (maybe hidden) flag to the FILE *
data structures that tell stdio that the calling program is
aware of the new interface because it has been compiled with
the new include files.

This needs to apply to _endopen() which does the real work for
fopen() and friends. Of course, stdin/stdout/stderr need to be
patched too......

Then old binaries would see the old behaviro and new binaries
(not using fileno() as macro) would be able to use more than 256
FILE * streams.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/