On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 16:43, Matthew Simmons wrote:

>     DJM> I use to do that but if using dumpadm and coreadm to actually put
> them
>     DJM> else where seemed like a better solution to me - mainly because they
>     DJM> have the functionality built in so why not use it.
>
> On the other hand, /var/crash is a well-known location, so there's some value
> in leaving something there that lets you get to the right place automagically.
> To each his own.

True.

Which brings me to very minor grip about the default config of Solaris,
it is /var/crash/<hostname at the first time you booted> which when
using DHCP in the default Solaris config can change.  Sure I can
find out what it is from dumpadm.

Why do we still have it as /var/crash/hostname rather than just
/var/crash as the default given that dumpadm can be used to change it ?

Is this something tied with how we built diskless clients on SunOS ?

--
Darren J Moffat