> The GNU utilities are not compatible with their
> Solaris equavalents
> and in some cases violate standards, best practices
> or have bugs
> which their authors refuse to fix.

That's right!
And they refuse the fix things because they're just ignorant (at least the ones
who didn't quit).

> Except for GNU find and GNU tar which are buggy and
> are known to be
> buggy to the point that we can only assume that their
> maintainers have
> no interest in fixing them.

How about our [I]Liebling[/I], the GNU C compiler, and friends?

A classic one I just *adore* is allowing the use of "//" for comments inside of
C source code...

And that's just a beginning of a long and painful list of either crappy or
broken things. Or both.