Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 13:34, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Robert Lunnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > The simplicity of administering ZFS is far over everything else. All
> > > other
> > > systems seem to have usability problems, even the windows practice of
> > > rooting
> > > all drives in the same place  isn't particularly convenient especially
> > > when
> > > it breaks all you shortcuts. I think ZFS gives all the benefits of unix
> > > filesystem semantics without the drawbacks.
> >
> > The "simplicity" of administration has it's drawbacks at the points where
> > ZFS in incompatible with the UNIX philosohy (mount handling) and causes
> > extra
> > effort in order to make it usable for e.g. the SchillIX life CD.
>
> Thats what legacy mount points are for.

Maybe I did not  yet grok them, could you help me please?

I tried 'zfs set mountpoint=legacy', but while mount -F zfs pool /mnt
works, mount -F zfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt does not work and gives this message:

        cannot open '/dev/lofi/1': invalid filesystem name

If I like to mount a zfs partition, I will need to do this when / is mounted
read only and /dev/ is empty. So after some checks, I willl e.g. know that
the device that holds the zfs I like to mount is e.g. on:

/devices/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED],0:d

How do I tell this zfs to be able to mount it?

> Some times progress needs to be made and not everything in the original
> UNIX philosohy's makes sense anymore.

Guess why I integrated find into star although UNIX people would say that
you could run find | star list=- ? There are features, you cannot have
with the 1970s UNIX philosohy.

I understand that in case you integrate a volume management system into
a filesystem, there is no way to write this down in vfstab. But for
single background data volume based FS, it looks nice to handle.

> To me the old UNIX mount handling is even more broken than rc.local or
> sysvinit was and ZFS is to the old UNIX mount handling what SMF is to
> rc.local ans sysvinit.

Mmm, why?

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)