On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:35:33AM -0800, Lyle Merdan wrote:
> I've tried to find the original source but can't at the moment. I
> remember reading that you could essentially make a branch off of a
> snapshot and work with that.

It's called "cloning";  you "clone" a snapshot to create a new filesystem
whose initial contents is identical to the snapshot.

> It's like taking a mirror and breaking it to work with each half...

It is similar, but without the data integrity problems (your data remains
mirrored), and with different storage usage (there's a maximum wastage
of the size of the snapshot).

It's very useful when you want a lot of mostly similar filesystems.

Cheers,
- jonathan

--
Jonathan Adams, Solaris Kernel Development