On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Charles Monett wrote:

Fine, it might have been dead, and probably (almost) useless, but that would be
enough for some to fill in the blank spaces if they were left on their own for
those who'd even want to touch that code outside of Sun- if just for the
ability to add in support where the hardware was dropped. At the very least, a
minimally supported (if at all) build 22 would have been a usable option for
those whom were still interested in opensolaris, but had come up to the table
with sun4m hardware - it might have been closer to Solaris 9, but if that was
the highest it'd go, at least there would have been a starting point.

I think it would be a pointless effort to "port" OpenSolaris to sun4m. Have you ever tried to run Solaris 9 on one of these machines? It is painfully slow. I have two sun4m that I am very fond of but we have to be realistic about their usefulness. I knew this a while back on my dual Ross SS20. I wrote a simple Java utility that was maybe 100 lines long. It took the poor thing alomst a minute just to compile it! Why should the community waste its time with something so hopelessly outdated? Today Solaris works on more cheap x86 hardware than anyone would have dreamed of only a few years ago. Moreover, Sun has a great reputation of binary compatabilty from the old versions. I would be willing to bet just about every app written for the Sun4m architecture will still work on the 4u's. So the 4m's only purpose is nostalga. Save the sun4m's for the museum and lets continue with making OpenSolaris the most advance OS in the World.

Bill Rushmore
www.rushmores.net