Lars Tunkrans wrote:

Ben Rockwood wrote:

You said it, the HCL is the answer. The problem is that not enough of us (myself included) are actually contributing enough to it. If we'd all pitch in it'd be a much more useful resource. While the HCL may have some limits, I don't think we can think about reimplementing or duplicating it untill there is a decent reason other than the fact that very few people are putting in their share of information.

benr.

 Hi,

Yes I agree that the HCL should be the focal point of this effort. However that a look at this way of presenting what works:

 http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/hardware-amd64.html

If we could have this format of the information instead of having
 to look  at each and every one  of  some PC  that  someone   tested
to find out if a particular chipset works .... or is supposed to work.

   I belive that  this would  make  many users  more confident  and able
   to make  good  desicions  about  what  PC hardware  they can use
   for Solaris.

That is a nice list. :)

If this is what you want, I think you should do it! Its definately a kinder gentler list than the HCL and once the list started to fill out we could backport some of that data into the HCL so that everyone wins.

I've got plenty of contributions if you decide to do it.  Its a good idea.

benr.