--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >Finally, I am not beefing about SSH or other tech implementation.
> >Ya'll do whatever you like. I am, however, concerned about the "We
> >work at Sun and we know what's best" attitude. Solaris 10 _may_ be
> >the best operating system in the world, but if people don't use it
> >(for whatever reason, however misguided), then it will be just a
> >footnote in the History of Computing.
>
> I don't think it's fair to accuse either me or Darren of a "we work
> at
> Sun and we know what's best" attitude.
>
> If our attempts to share our experience in developing Solaris come
> across in that manner, then rest assured that was purely
> unintentional.

I'm just letting you know that from this side, that's what it sounds
like.

I try not to be rude to my wife, ever. She still thinks I am rude. I
have to work hard to meet her expectation. She's Japanese, and I'm
French/American. I have to work very very hard to even appear not
rude to her. It takes extra effort, and it's worth it. I'm just
saying you guys might try a bit harder. As Jim says well here:
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jimgris?entry=opensolaris_lessons_learned

> We do try to explain what the bigger picture looks like from where
> we
> are sitting.

I hear you.

> Do you rather have 10 or 1000s of exploits coming your way?

Again, no beef on that. Just on the way the info is presented.

I'll grant you that solaris is fairly secure (there's no such thing
as 100% secure) and that the community can learn a lot from it.

But there's also a point to be made about the community needing to
participate, and being heard. And if that means rehashing 5 year old
conversations, or at least pointing the inquisitives to web
resources, so be it. Just shutting off conversations with categorical
statements is not exactly conducive to community/trust building.

Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]