On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 10:55, Daniel Mersebak wrote:
> Would it be fair to say that 3 years of Nexenta experience is the same as
> having three years of Solaris experience ?

I think that depends on the person and depends on what the
job at hand is.  Is it end user, developer, system admin ?
If developer are they Java, X, GNOME, core Kernel, Driver ?

> Asking this question I am thinking of the similarity of using tools such as:
>
> - Dtrace
> - Networking
> - BrandZ and zones in general
> - ZFS
> - Firewalling/Security
> - Self healing and managed services
> - Pacthing

That depends, does Nextenta differ in any of those areas
from Solaris ?

The key thing to remember is that Nextenta has a GNU user environment
for a lot of stuff rather than the Solaris environment.  As best
as I can tell there are no kernel changes at least not currently.

If you want to get Solaris experience why not use Solaris ?
For getting the best experience use both (and other systems too).

--
Darren J Moffat