Octave Orgeron writes:
> I've used ndd to increase the default to support 1000 vip's before and
> have not noticed any performance issues.

And you shouldn't -- unless you have applications that are affected by
high numbers of interfaces.

> So it won't hurt your server.

"Maybe."  The kernel and usual sorts of applications work just fine
like this.

> It really just comes down to the application that will use the NIC. If
> it can co-exist with other apps on the same NIC and not cause any
> bottlenecks, you shouldn't have any issues.

That's not the problem.

There are some applications that use SIOCGLIFCONF and/or routing
sockets to keep track of the interfaces on the system.  These
applications often build internal lists of interfaces for their own
purposes.  Unfortunately, some of those applications have O(N^2) or
worse algorithms that iterate over those lists.  If you have dozens or
hundreds of interfaces, that's probably not a problem.  If you have
many thousands, you can shoot yourself in the foot.

(I don't think this is really a _good_ reason for the hard-coded 8192
limit.  It's the only reason I know, though.)

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>