On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:

> Personally, I don't see how OpenSolaris could receive its deserved attention
> (and respect) if no one outside the existing Solaris community can install it.

I have to strongly disagree with you there.  Yes, the hardware doesn't
cover everything but that list is big.  Just as an example I installed
OpenSolaris on my Sony TR1.  This is a super small subnotebook with some
wierd hardware.  I tried to install Linux on it and the install wouldn't
even work. Heck, the install of Windows XP pro failed because of the
hardware, only the recovery CD would work.  But one day just for fun I
tried Solaris Express.  The install just worked and I was on the Internet,
burning CDs, and reading files from my memory stick, WITH NO TWEAKING!  I
downloaded a few packages and I had wireless.  OpenSolaris wasn't perfect
on it but if I could get as much as I could work that easily on that odd
little thing then that really says something.

But I firmly believe the best way is to buy the hardware from the same
people who make the OS.  That way you'll never have a driver issue.  Ask
any one who uses a Sun workstation or Mac.

There is also another way to get OpenSolaris to almost everyone's hands
which I have been advocating.  That is with VMware (Virtual PC works too,
but not as good).  Once people start using it, they'll like it and make
sure their next machine will work with Solaris.

Bill
rushmores.net