On 3/8/06, Cyril Plisko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > As a comparison I tried the same thing on an unmodified Red Hat
> > Enterprise Linux 4 AS 64-bit server.  It simply packed up and went
> > away.  Totally.  Gone in less than one second and nothing worked
> > anymore.  Not the mouse and not even the NumLock light on the
> > keyboard.  I don't like playng the Linux versus Solaris game but I had
> > to perform the test.  I left the machine running ( warm brick ) until
> > this morning and then I had to pull the plug.
>
> Same here on Fedora Core 5 prerelease machine. It was interesting to
> see people' faces when they copy pasted that into their shell and watched
> their machine dies.

I was going to try this with SchilliX 0.5.1 but I expect to get that
same result as Solaris.  After all, its the same kernel.

I think there is a similar fork bomb type of attack for Windows.  Its
called MSIE I think :-)

In any case, joking aside, what are your thoughts on the maxpid = 32767 ?

For some reason there seems to be a need for a pid much higher than
that during boot.

Dennis