On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Mike Kupfer wrote:

> sch>   I think I would like to hear about how to eventually close some
> sch>   of the program-wide aliases, as consolidations and communities
> sch>   evolve their own code submission discussions.
>
> I think opensolaris-code can just go away.  It was originally created

Agreed.

> during the Pilot program, when there was a single consolidation and a
> lot fewer people.  When I proposed it, I thought of it as a stopgap
> measure to deal with the high traffic, much of it non-technical, on
> opensolaris-discuss.  Now that we have multiple consolidations, each
> with (at least) its own "discuss" list, and a whole lot more people,
> opensolaris-code serves only to confuse people about where they should
> post.
>
> I'd like to see opensolaris-bugs and opensolaris-rfe go away, too.  Bugs
> and RFEs should get posted to the bug database, not mailing lists.

And they can be discussed on opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org, if
necessary.

Re: solaris-internals

I see a need for a *very* technical, high signal-to-noise ratio list where
(only) highly technical issues and their underlying architectural and
design decisions are discussed.  I don't expect the resulting list to have
broad appeal - I would expect it to appeal to a much smaller audience that
is highly technical and highly qualified.  And to ensure that it remains
so, I would suggest that this new community be 100% moderated.  This will
ensure that only highly technical posts make it to the list and that the
high signal/noise ratio is maintained over the long term.  The resulting
list would be designed to attract talented developers because of its
highly technical content and retain those members because of the consistant
quality of the ongoing discussions and presented material.

The ratio of (list) lurkers to posters would probably be unusually high -
and many of those lurkers would be constantly challenged by the technical
content of the topics discussed and presention data made available.

Potential topics for discussion would include such topics as virtual memory
management .... and ... well ... the sort of technical topics that make it
into the upcoming version 2 of the book "Solaris Internals"!

If we have enough moderators associated with the group, then the burden of
list moderation can be spread over a large pool of willing volunteers and
they would be encouraged to direct off-topic posts to the most relevant
list - rather than telling them to 'go away'.

I know that some will read this post and accuse me of technical elitism.
My answer to that is simple: if we don't impose some low water mark (in
terms of the technical level), then how can we expect to attract "name
brand" highly technical developers to the list and why should we expect
them to remain active and engaged if we subject them to hundreds of
off-topic posts ranging for "Linux is better at..." to "my 8-year old
Pentium II computer with 128Mb of RAM and an 18Gb disk won't boot b36" etc.
etc.

The nature of the highly technical and talented developer is that they have
limited tolerance to posts like "my computer won't boot"[1] and limited
time to participate in the many, *many* lists that are competing for their
attention.

[1] so let me take out my crystal ball and determine the make/model date of
manufacture, hardware configuration, software configuration blah, blah and
give you the 'correct' answer first time!  :)

Regards,

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris.Org Community Advisory Board (CAB) Member - Apr 2005