On Mar 17, 2006, at 3:40 PM, Phil Plouffe wrote:

Hi,

I just got a new machine with 2 processors Dual-core(AMD Opteron 270) and I installed the SXCR build 34 on it. When it boots I have the following error message:
----------
WARNING: BIOS microcode patch for AMD Athlon(tm) 64/Opteron(tm) processor
erratum 131 was not detected; updating your system's BIOS to a version
containing this microcode patch is HIGHLY recommended or erroneous system
operation may occur.
----------

My BIOS was already to the latest update (It's a Tyan S2885 with rev 2.05) and I did not found any patch at TYAN. The system finish booting up, and everything seems fine( with dmesg, the 4 cpu are able to complete initialization).

Have you checked that you have one of the later 2885's ???
I have one of the older ones, and it does not support dualcore CPU's.
There is information somewhere on Tyan's website that describes
how to find the right revision number.
Check the "supported CPU's" page, it should be around there.

I did some googling and found there was a bug fixed in build22:
Bug 6288246: amd64 kernel needs to detect AMD Opteron erratum 131.

Is that error message just harmless now? Someone have an idea ?

Kaiser Jasse -- Authorized Stealth Oracle

The axioms of wisdom:
1. You can't outstubborn a cat
2. You can't conquer the universe without the knowledge of FORTRAN
3. In the Unix realm, 10% of work fixes 90% of the problems