Yann POUPET writes:
> "Hurg ! It seems your naughty sound card driver has crashed.
> Do you want to try to reset it ? [YES] [NO]
> Do you want to unload and reload it ? [YES] [NO]
> Do you want to send a bug report to the maintainer ? [YES] [NO]
> Do you want to be informed by email when it is fixed ? [YES] [NO]

The missing bit here is that there's just no protection inside the
kernel.  A "crashed" kernel extension means that we can no longer
really trust anything about the overall kernel integrity.  If we
assume that avoiding data corruption is the highest priority
(historically for Solaris this is true), then the only option left is
to take down the system.

This argues that, when folks are designing kernel extensions, it's
worthwhile to pay some attention to what functionality belongs in the
kernel and what bits can profitably be left in user space.  Often,
though perhaps not always, the complex bits (and the ones that are
likely to have bugs) are also the bits that are not involved directly
with data handling, and are instead control-path issues, and can often
be factored out into user space.

Having general memory protection in the kernel (such that a "crashed"
driver can be known not to have damaged anything else) sounds like an
interesting project, but nowhere near where we are today.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>