Roland Mainz wrote:

Ian Collins wrote:
Andrei Dorofeev wrote:
I didn't try this on a laptop, but here are some numbers from a 2-way
AMD system running in 64-bit mode showing how much memory gets used by
the
kernel in each case.

NCPU    max_ncpus       kernel
64      2               227MB
21      21              231MB   - stock Nevada bits
64      32              233MB
64      64              242MB

So if max_ncpus is set to 64, we'd be throwing away 10Mb (or ~5% of
all memory on a 256Mb laptop).  The difference between 21 and 32 is
much
smaller.

Are 256Mb laptops a serious concern these days?

Unfortunately yes. Think about all the second hand laptops floating
around at universities where 256MB is the maximum which fits in there...
not everyone has the money to stuff 2GB main memory in his/her brand new
laptop...

I doubt you could buy a 64 bit laptop with 256Mb. Isn't this a 64 bit only issue?

Ian