Holger Berger wrote:
I wasn't directly involved in the 64K prototype but only 64K and larger
were used for user applications, and the page_t was 64K in span
(PAGESIZE=65536). There may have been some 8K mappings in the kernel due
to OBP handing off translation lists with holes -- I don't remember the
details there.
Who was involved in this project?
I don't believe any of the folks involved directly are active in
OpenSolaris yet, so to avoid having vegetables thrown at me I won't say. :)

Maybe the project lead at Sun is willing to comment here. Could you
ask him, please?

OK I'll ask *her* if she wants to chime in. :)

First I'd like to ensure that Sun is willing to contribute the code. A
project without a basis is useless.

Willing, yes. Finding someone with the bandwidth is a different story, as we all still have day jobs. (It is a pile of code, too. This isn't nearly as easy as you would believe it is.)

The kernel I/O subsystem does not need to be large file aware. The
minimum page size changes from 8k to 64k. By design and definition 64k
pages will no longer be "large pages" at all. This is why I think much
less work needs to be done as you think. UFS may need work, MMU core

The SPARC IOMMU driver needs significant changes to get this working, since it assumes 8K pages. The hardware is capable of 64K translations at least though I don't recall if there were any hardware bugs there.

- Eric