On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 07:56:38AM +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
> A simple GUI interface would be a start, even a graphical overview of
> the services would help.

  Though not SMC, the Visual Panels project is attempting to do just
  that.  (Actually, if services are all you're interested in, it
  already does do that and is attempting to do a lot more.)

> Maybe avoid Java, based on past Java GUIs,
> they always generate flak due to slow load time and resource hogging.

  Visual Panels is written in Java, and we're quite happy with the
  performance we're getting.  Java performance has improved a lot, and
  that's not just because computers are getting faster.  I also think
  it's fair to say that most of SMC's sluggishness has little to do
  with the language the UI is implemented in.

  You can find out more about Visual Panels at

    http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/vpanels/

  Dave