On 3/31/06, Thomas Maier-Komor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am still thinking what the major issues are that many people don't give
> Solaris a real chance. Therefore, I want to consider how others sell their
> product and create a good image.
>
> The image of Solaris is all about the big iron. Machines with many
> processors, redundance, and so on. But nobody has this at home, so nobody
> really considers it as being an alternative for SOHO use. But apart from the
> issues I mentioned in my post "Solaris vs. Slowaris", I don't really think
> Solaris is missing anything particular for application in this area.

Yes Linux people are still beating this to death or they were, what we
need is a marketing campain that shows how new fresh and fast solaris
is for the home/SOHO crowd. Everyone knows if you want to scale you
use Solaris. What the linux crowd hasn't seen is how easy Solaris has
made all the new features, were not ready for the desktop yet, but we
do make one hell of a small server.

A short 15minute movie posted on video.google.com of How to deploy
Solaris as a home server. 5 minutes on how to install from a DVD, 5
minutes on the wonders of ZFS and how easy it is to do things for the
home user, 5 minutes explaining and demoing  SMF.

We could even make a series of video shorts demoing each aspect of the
OS, deploying a webserver in a zone, creating a web pressence quickly
and easily with java creator, no java needed. Deploying Sun Rays in
the home with the focus on used hardware sure it won't help sunray
sales but getting people to use them is an important first step. And
many more...

The one last piece that Solaris needs is a gui/text based firewall
installer/configuration tool that makes a Solaris firewall as easy to
setup as the small hardware routers are today.

James Dickens
uadmin.blogspot.com