On Sat 04/01/06 at 17:44 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > By relaxing the limit to 132 characters you are *forcing* everybody to
> > switch to 132 wide xterms.
>
> You are wrong.
> 1. Many of those tools support horizontal scrolling and continuation.
> 2. I did not say to reformat all existing code. I just asked for the
> option to allow wider character widths on demand when it is usefull.
> 3. I do not expect that everyone will use all 52 (= 132 - 80) additional
> characters to the full extend

It doesn't matter.  If any important bit of the code has >80 characters per
line, then everybody has to work with it.  If you decide that your new
function in vm_page.c would be more readable with 132 characters per line,
then every VM engineer has to adopt a new way of working.

> > (Or to face code which is much less readable
> > than code formatted to fit 80 columns; 132 wrapped to 80 is just not
> > a pretty sight.
>
> I agree. But if you look at the existing code it's usually only a few
> extra characters which are needed to make the code MUCH more readable.

That may be true.  It's also true that if we had a maximum width of 100
characters there would be a whole new set of lines that would be MUCH more
readable if we made the maximum length 115 characters.  If we set the max
at 115, we would find a new set of lines that would be oh so much more
readable with a 132 character limit.

> > I think you'll find that the C-style rules are not open for negotiation.
>
> What do other Sun engineers think about this ?

I don't care whether ON enforces them or not.  They will continue to be the
rules for any project I'm running.