On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 14:01, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> I like to perform little experiments.  Its my nature.
> So I wondered to myself .. just how small a footprint can SXCR have?
>
> I know that Eric Bootilier did some interesting work with the reduced core
> install cluster and I was thinking of starting there and then ripping out
> packages until the system fell over or became just barely useable.

I spent some time on this too, at about the same time Eric
was doing his stuff. I got production servers down to 74
packages in S10 - and you could slash that quite a bit
further if you don't mind losing functionality.

http://www.petertribble.co.uk/Solaris/miniinstall.html

--
-Peter Tribble
L.I.S., University of Hertfordshire - http://www.herts.ac.uk/