To, as promised follow up on my own message:

>  The next hurdle is that the Solaris fdisk doesn't interact all that
> well  with the bootcamp prepared disk. I hacked around this by hand
> and am still   gathering information to file the appropriate bug
> (with workaround). I'll  follow up when the bug is filed.

 These bugs are:

        6413235 fdisk won't commit (-F) tables to bootcamp prepared disks
        6413240 install should not run fdisk -F when a solaris2 partition
                already exists.

 Credit for tracking down the fact that install insists on re-writing
the fdisk table goes to Dan Price's totally mad trussing skills.

 Since those bugs don't seem to be posted on opensolaris (yet),
here's the relevant work around from 6413240:

Pre-layout the Solaris2 partition (partition id 191), and then wrap
fdisk to not do anything for a commit (-F) operation:

/# cd /usr/sbin/
/usr/sbin# mv fdisk fdisk.real
/usr/sbin# cat > fdisk
#!/bin/sh