Hello Dennis,

>> Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>>   If Sun Microsystems Inc. would like to begin from scratch with a
>>>   complete new project then there is little that can be done right?
>>
>> Sun has been producing the companion CD for longer than blastwave has
>> been around.   It was blastwave that began a complete new project from
>> scratch when both sunfreeware and the Sun Companion CD already existed,
>> and clearly it was right to not stop blastwave from doing so.

DC>   (1) Neither of those projects were OPEN to anyone other than a Sun
DC>       badge and Steve C.

Well, I guess that finally Blastwace provides all the sources, patches
and build scripts/options it uses to provide its packages - if it's so
now then this is great, but it wasn't the case in the past (not so
distant past) so Blastwave wasn't that open either.

DC>   (2) Solaris Community people banded together to remedy (1) .

DC>   Also, and this is subtle, no one was in a position to stop Blastwave
DC>   from existing and thriving.  In fact, great piles of help were poured
DC>   in by Sun people and for obvious reasons.  So now we have Sun Inc.
DC>   wanted to begin some open discussions on how best to proceed with a
DC>   community software project that is finally open.

DC>   Feel free to join the mail lists at :

This discussion isn't about Blastwave only - I want to be part of that
discussion and I don't want to join another mailing list related with
a specific project like Blastwave to just talk about open source
software for open solaris - here is a proper place to do it, not
Blastwave.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]