> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if the maximum number of CPUs
> supported in a given SPARC platform be increased by
> increasing NCPU, (defined in machparam.h.) I am
> running Solaris 10 sun4u kernel which seems to limit
> NCPU to 32. So far with limited amount of source
> browsing, it seems to me that it might work, but I
> want to be sure by confirming with the experts
> whether its possible. If not, I would appreciate any
> help regarding where to look and how to hack the
> sources to get over this limit.

Yep, you're right. You should be able to set NCPU to 64 for your needs and this
shouldn't cause any breakage in the sun4u kernel. The value of NCPU is
overwritten in some platform Makefiles. For example, Starcat (E25K/E15K) sets
it to 558 at compile time, see Makefile.starcat.shared. So it's not a
limitation and sun4u has definitely been tested with higher NCPU values.

> A little background - I am running Solaris on a
> simulator. The device tree has CH+ cpu nodes with
> portids 0,1,32,33,34,35. However, psrinfo -p outputs
> 2 and psrinfo -v shows only cpus 0 & 1.

That sounds right. If you're using the generic sun4u kernel with NCPU set to
32, CPUs with CPUID >= 32 will be ignored.

Haik