On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:41:21PM +0200, Holger Berger wrote:

> It is still a bug which should be fixed. The requirement that only the
> base of a ZFS file system can be shared is a serious limitation which
> will hamper or even prevent deployment of ZFS at large sites.

I haven't quite grokked the original thread completely, but the above
statement isn't true.  You can _always_ use /etc/dfs/dfstab to share
whatever directories you want.  The "zfs set sharenfs=XXX" syntax is
just a simplified interface for managing shares, and has the beneficial
side effect that such options are kept with your data (in the case of
import/export, for example).  There will always be things you may want
to do (such as sharing it under a different name, or sharing
subdirectories of a filesystem) which will exceed the capabilities of
this simplified interface.

Hope that helps,

- Eric

--