> Roland Mainz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > How different is their "make" version (or better:
> What are the differences ?) ?

GNU makefiles and SUN makefiles have different syntax,
and this is the main difference between "gmake" and "dmake".
Sun Studio "dmake" (in serial mode) is compatible with Sun "make",
they both can work with Sun makefiles, but cannot work with GNU
makefiles. We plan to provide a compatibility mode in "dmake",
which will allow to work with GNU makefiles.

> > "dmake is not very portable" (why ?) ?
>
> Well, I did look into the source a few years ago.....
> If you have the old Univertity sources, I just recommend you to to the same.

I'm responsible for "dmake", and I can say that "dmake" is portable.
It was ported to Linux x86 several years ago, and now "dmake" for Linux
is shipped with Sun Studio 11. It is 100% compatible with Solaris "dmake"
(they have the same set of features and the same [high] level of quality).
A month ago I've been asked to port "dmake" to Linux SPARC (well, not an
official port, just to create an experimental version). It took about 2 days
to port "dmake", and to port and run regression tests.
The result was unbelievable - only about 10 of 400 tests failed, and there
were no critical failures (just some differences in the log files).

Thanks,
Nik