Even if Sun were to move to just using Fujitsu SPARC-64 chips, they're still
SPARC, so the U45 is still a good choice.  Obviously Sun is going to go away
from the US-IIIi processor eventually (I don't think the roadmaps are too
secret, are they), they've already got the US-IV/US-IV+ and the T1 to replace
it.

If you want to look at a true Sun Opteron, there the U20 and U40, which you can
get with up to 2 Opteron 280s.

The existing T1 systems are all server class, but you could look at a low end
T1000 now that they've been released.  Not too sure the T1 processor is great
for development/compiling, we had some benchmarks posted earlier that the build
is not well optimized for heavy parallelism.

You could try rolling your own, which is what most of us have done.  For 2-4k,
you could roll a really sweet system.