Bill Rushmore wrote:

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Darren Reed wrote:

What about organising an article or story on slashdot.org for every SX release or two or three?

Are you volunteering Darren? :-) But seriously I wouldn't mind helping out on this.

I do think this is a great idea...

Me too, definitely count me in.

Regarding Joerg's mention of freshmeat, here's something
Dan Price said about it last August:

= ...
= There is room for lots of meta-data, and projects get a sort of
= "blogroll", featured on the front page: http://freshmeat.net.
= All updates get human-reviewed, so the signal to noise is very good.
=
= Each time I post SX, (ex: last week), we drive ~500 people to the
= solaris express site...
= ...

And taking Dan's lead, a couple months ago I had very good
success experimenting with creating and updating a dummy
project on freshmeat using a ready-made perl script called
fm-submit. The freshmeat submission API is great (think,
KISS), and in addition to the ready-made perl script,
there's one in Python too that the API developers wrote.
I suspect Joerg -- or any other OpenSolaris members who
have projects on freshmeat -- are experienced users of the
API already...

As for Solaris Express, Dan Price has has a freshmeat entry
for it:

  http://freshmeat.net/projects/solarisos/?branch_id=57808

(He hasn't had the time to update it of late though).

But in addition to SX, I would think that if we develop a
simple framework, any project with standalone releases of
downloadable code could/should have a freshmeat entry, all
without the project leaders having to do hardly any additional
work. (Of course the ultimate goal should be for the project
infrastructure software to handle updates automatically.)

Eric