On Monday 01 May 2006 04:25 pm, Ignacio Marambio Catán wrote:
> I belive this comment is about the following
>
> "As an example, when Red Hat released the sources to their Enterprise
> Server, but didn't provide any of the Makefiles or configure scripts to
> create them. Of course there is nothing in the GPL to keep folks from
> holding back the Makefiles and configure scripts to create them. That
> was something that was not "true to the spirit"."
>
> I dont understant your point

I thought the point was simple. The GPL requires that you release the sources,
but it doesn't say you need to provide the Makefiles and/or configure
scripts. Providing something to the community that is not easy to build is
not a service to them in any way, IMO.

This is not to do with the license, any license could provide the same.

These actions are not "true to the spirit".

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering